Merck Animal Health has recalled four additional batches of BANAMINE® / BANAMINE®-S (flunixin meglumine injection). Particulates were observed during routine quality testing and reviews for the following additional batches:
- BANAMINE 100mL, UIN 065474, NDC 00061-0851-03, Batch 3511101, exp Dec. 2024
– Distribution dates: May 16, 2023, to August 8, 2023
- BANAMINE 100mL, UIN 065474, NDC 00061-0851-03, Batch 3511104, exp Dec. 2024
– Distribution dates: August 4, 2023, to August 17, 2023
- BANAMINE 250mL, UIN 065476, NDC 00061-0851-04, Batch 3522101, exp Dec. 2024
– Distribution dates: July 14, 2023, to August 17, 2023
- BANAMINE-S 100mL, UIN 065477, NDC 0061-1838-30, Batch 3511103, exp Dec. 2024
– Distribution dates: May 3, 2023 to August 16, 2023
This announcement follows the initial recall of three batches made on September 1, which included:
- BANAMINE 100mL, UIN 065474, NDC 00061-0851-03, Batch 2834102, exp Oct. 2024
-Distribution dates: March 6, 2023, to May 3, 2023
- BANAMINE 250mL, UIN 065476, NDC 00061-0851-04, Batch 2864102, exp Nov. 2024
-Distribution dates: June 21, 2023, to July 11, 2023
- BANAMINE-S 100mL, UIN 065477, NDC 0061-1838-30, Batch 2834103, exp Oct. 2024
-Distribution dates: March 20, 2023, to May 16, 2023
The administration of an injectable product that contains particulate matter may result in local irritation, swelling or infection in response to the foreign material. After intravenous administration in large animals, such as cattle or horses, particulate matter could travel to the lungs which could result in local tissue damage. To date, no adverse event reports have been received for the recalled batches.
Flunixin meglumine is a potent, non-narcotic, nonsteroidal, analgesic agent with anti-inflammatory and antipyretic activity. It is approved in the US only for intravenous use in beef and dairy cattle, for intravenous and intramuscular use in horses and for intramuscular use in swine.
Customers who have received BANAMINE and BANAMINE®-S from the batches being recalled should stop using the products and refer to their recall letter for product return instructions. Merck Animal Health is working with our distributor partners to ensure that unused product is no longer in distribution or with customers. We are notifying our distributors and customers directly and are arranging for the return of all recalled product.
Consumers with questions regarding this recall should call 1-800-521-5767 (Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CDT).
This recall is being made with the knowledge of the Food and Drug Administration.
The health and well-being of animals is the foremost priority at Merck Animal Health. We place the utmost emphasis on product quality at every step in the manufacturing and supply chain process.