With the arrival of spring, now is the ideal time to get your clients’ horses set for yearlong wellness. A spring wellness exam is a proactive way to help your clients protect their horses’ health, comfort and performance.
“In today’s market, it’s very difficult to find new clients, so good communication and good experiences deepen the horse owner-veterinarian relationship,” said Sally Amtmann, senior equine team leader, Zoetis. “Good communication increases visits back to the clinic and raises the profile of the practice in the horse owner’s mind. The Wellness Days kit makes it easy for the veterinarian to ensure they are really connecting with the horse owner.”
Encourage horse owners to prepare for the spring wellness exam by answering the simple questions outlined below, and then reviewing with your staff:
- Was your horse vaccinated last year?
- Are you planning to board, show, train or travel with your horse in the next six months?
- Are you planning to attend USEF-licensed shows in the next six to 12 months?
- Has it been more than six to 12 months since your horse has had a dental exam?
- Have you noticed any weight changes in your horse in the last six months?
- Is your horse dropping any feed or having issues with his bit?
- Have you noticed any recent changes in your horse’s gait?
- Is your horse fractious when being clipped or shod?
- Have your pastures flooded recently or do you expect this year to be wetter than years past?
- Do you feed on the ground, keep feed in open containers or have you seen signs of wildlife in your barn?
- Have any of your horses or the horses they are housed with lost their eyesight or been diagnosed with equine recurrent uveitis (ERU/moon blindness)?
- Has it been more than six to 12 months since your horse’s last fecal egg count?
- Are you currently deworming your horse every six to eight weeks?
- Will your horse’s access to turnout or forage change at any point during the year?
In addition to the horse owner questionnaire, Zoetis provides a customizable Wellness Days tool kit to assist with your horse owner communication. The Wellness Days tool kit includes a Horse Health Indicator to help your staff identify what treatments or procedures horses may need and provide an opportunity to grow your business based on horse owner responses to the above questions.
You also can offer your clients up to $7 in savings during their spring exam with rebates from Zoetis valid through June 15, 2016. When you vaccinate with both WEST NILE-INNOVATOR® and FLUVAC INNOVATOR® products, horse owners receive $5 back. They can earn an additional $2 rebate for deworming with QUEST® Gel.
To access your Wellness Days toolkit, contact your Zoetis representative.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION: Do not use QUEST Gel or QUEST® PLUS Gel in foals less than 6 months of age or in sick, debilitated and underweight horses. Do not use in other animal species, as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result.
Zoetis(zō-EH-tis) is the leading animal health company, dedicated to supporting its customers and their businesses. Building on more than 60 years of experience in animal health, Zoetis discovers, develops, manufactures and markets veterinary vaccines and medicines, complemented by diagnostic products and genetic tests and supported by a range of services. Zoetis serves veterinarians, livestock producers and people who raise and care for farm and companion animals with sales of its products in more than 100 countries. In 2015, the company generated annual revenue of $4.8 billion with approximately 9,000 employees. For more information, visitwww.zoetisUS.com.