The Foundation for the Horse approved more than $1,151,066 in grants and support for 75 programs, projects, and scholarships, all focused on improving the welfare of horses and educating future equine practitioners. This marked the second time in as many years that The Foundation’s support for these initiatives exceeded the $1 million mark.
“This is what we’re all about—providing resources so that students become first-rate equine veterinarians, researchers improve the practice of equine medicine, and programs help horses in times of urgent need,” said Foundation Chair Dr. Rick Mitchell. “It is our duty to meet the medical needs of the horse, and no other organization does what we do.”
These funds cover crucial equine innovation and research discovery into various diseases and ailments conducted by up-and-coming and established researchers; programs to bolster the welfare of working equines and at-risk horses; disease mitigation, disaster preparedness, and relief; and educational training opportunities and financial support for new horse doctors and veterinary students.
Following is a list of grants by project area.
- Coyote Rock Ranch Scholarships (3)
- Merck Animal Health Scholarships (5)
- Oakwood Foundation Scholarships (5)
- Zoetis Foundation Scholarships (5)
- Dr. Bill Rood Leadership Scholarship
- AAEP – Veterinary Student Programs (21)
- AAEP – Sustainability Programs (2)
- AAEP – LEAD Leadership Development Program
- World Equine Veterinary Association – Congress
- Veterinarians Encouraging and Teaching Inc. – Pathways to Success Symposium
Innovation & Research Discovery:
- AAEP Past Presidents’ Research Fellow
- EQUUS Foundation Research Fellow
- The Foundation for the Horse Research Fellow
- Innovation and Discovery Research Grants (4)
- Emerging Equine Researchers Projects (6)
Working Equids & At-risk Horse Welfare Projects:
- Brooke USA – Improving Conditions for Working Equines at India’s Equine Fairs
- Cart Horse Protection Association – Horse Health Project in South Africa
- Equine Disease Communication Center
- Equine Welfare Data Collective
- Equitarian Initiative – Equitarian Education
- Equitarian Initiative – Programs in Five Countries (9)
- EQUUS Foundation Inc. – Safe Landings Program
- Namibian Animal Welfare Association – Project Donkey
- United Horse Coalition
- Retired Racehorse Project – Thoroughbred Makeover & National Symposium
- Vet Direct Safety Net
Disaster Relief & Preparedness Projects:
- Brooke USA – Disaster Relief for Working Equines in Pakistan
- Kentucky Horse Council – Large Animal Emergency Training
- Hooved Animal Humane Society – Large Animal Rescue Training
- Additional pending large animal rescue training and related disaster preparedness programs
For more information about The Foundation and its impact on horse welfare through education, innovation, discovery, disaster relief, and preparedness, visit www.foundationforthehorse.org.
About The Foundation for the Horse
Established in 1994, The Foundation for the Horse is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to improving the welfare of the horse through Education, Research, and Horses at Risk. Governed and stewarded by world-renowned equine veterinarians and equine stakeholders, The Foundation awards over $1 million annually in scholarships and grants to impact equine health and well-being throughout the U.S. and developing countries. To learn more, visit http://www.foundationforthehorse.org/.