Registration is now open for the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Convention 2021, which will be held virtually this year from July 29-August 1. It will feature inspiring speakers, networking opportunities and approximately 300 hours of world-class CE for veterinary industry professionals, veterinary students and veterinary technician students.
Registration for the convention is available at AVMA.org/Convention.
The 2021 convention had been scheduled for Minneapolis, but the AVMA decided upon a virtual convention for a second year in a row due to lingering COVID-19 concerns and restrictions.
“AVMA Convention 2021 promises to be engaging, inspiring, and educational—the high-level experience attendees expect from our convention, delivered in a safe and convenient format,” said Dr. Douglas Kratt, AVMA president. “We look forward to returning to an in-person convention as scheduled in 2022 in Philadelphia.”
Attendees of AVMA Convention 2021 will have access to the most complete selection of online veterinary CE anywhere, including workshops, panels and lectures taught by experts in veterinary medicine, available both live and recorded after the event. No matter what your interest or area of focus, you’ll discover it at AVMA Convention.
Content areas include tracks in:
- Companion animal medicine
- Food animal/equine
- Practice management
- Professional development
- Public and corporate practice
- Veterinary technology
- Hot topics/emerging trends
This year’s AVMA Convention keynote will be delivered by Atul Gawande, MD, one of the most influential leaders in human medicine. A surgeon at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and professor at Harvard Medical School and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Dr. Gawande is chairman of Haven, a not-for-profit healthcare initiative formed by Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JPMorgan Chase. He also is the founder and chair of Ariadne Labs, a joint center for health systems innovation. He is a long-time New Yorker staff writer and the author of four best-selling books. Through his bold visions for improving healthcare, Dr. Gawande has cut through the complexities of the healthcare system and delivered practical solutions to better serve the needs of people and make for a healthier society.
Princess Sarah Culberson—Sierra Leone princess, humanitarian, educator and author of “A Princess Found”—will share her inspiring story with AVMA Convention 2021 attendees. Culberson was adopted and raised in the United States with little knowledge of her ancestry, but upon traveling to Sierra Leone in 2004 to meet her family, she discovered that she was considered a Mahaloi, the granddaughter of a paramount chief, with the status of a princess. After seeing the aftermath of an 11-year civil war in Sierra Leone, she co-founded Sierra Leone Rising, a nonprofit organization to support the community. She is currently director of outreach at the Oakwood School in Los Angeles, where she works daily with middle and high school students.
In addition to CE sessions and featured speakers, AVMA Convention 2021 will feature several events along with this year’s virtual meeting. These include:
- Behind the “MEOW”-sic and the world’s largest virtual pet party: We’re bringing the Minneapolis music scene straight to your ears! There are few artists more synonymous with Minneapolis than Prince. Attend this behind the “MEOW”-sic event to enjoy the legend’s music while hearing stories from those who knew him. This unforgettable event will stream live from the historic First Avenue Club, featured in the film “Purple Rain.” Then, don’t miss your chance to be a part of history as we attempt to set the record for the largest virtual pet party.
- Virtual Exhibit Hall: As in past years, AVMA’s Virtual Exhibit Hall will highlight the latest innovations in veterinary medicine, Dedicated virtual exhibit hall time each day during regular convention hours will give attendees a chance to meet virtually with exhibitors to learn more about products and services they’re interested in, or simply wander the virtual hall in search of inspiration.
- Convention-al Conversations: End your convention day with us. Stop in at the end of each day to share what you learned, loved or experienced that day during convention. We’ll help connect you with others in your area and specialty for casual conversations.
- Vet Talks: These 25-minute CE sessions held throughout the day range from hot topics to speaker Q&As and from wellbeing to professional development.
- Meet-the-Experts: Connect with presenters and peers to discuss the hottest topics and trends in the veterinary industry while networking in a laid-back environment.
- Alumni Receptions: Kick off AVMA Convention with your alma mater! Reconnect with your former classmates and make new friends with recent graduates from your school at the alumni receptions.
In addition, check out AVMA’s wellbeing page for more information on wellness events and activities during this year’s AVMA Convention.For more updates on Convention 2021, including CE sessions, speakers, virtual events and more, please visit AVMA.org/Convention.
About the AVMA
The AVMA, founded in 1863, is one of the oldest and largest veterinary medical organizations in the world, with more than 97,000 member veterinarians worldwide engaged in a wide variety of professional activities and dedicated to the art and science of veterinary medicine.