We have an onsite weather station here at the Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC), and the National Weather Service is providing us with weather updates every six hours. If Hurricane Florence, which is currently forecast to stay to the east of the WEG venue, should change course, we will receive much more frequent alerts so that we can advise you of any severe weather forecast for the Tryon region.
We already have robust contingency plans in place for use in the event of severe weather conditions and this includes sheltering plans for personnel and horses.
There are 1,288 permanent stalls onsite and all barns are built in conformance with the International Building Code to withstand winds up to 90mph (144kph), so the horses are in the safest place here on-site. TIEC became a refuge for horses from five states ahead of Hurricane Irma in August/September of last year.
We are working with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to ensure that, in the event of extreme weather, all horses in Post-Arrival Quarantine will be stabled in Barn 5, not in the tent extension.
We are working with three different electrical suppliers and have numerous generators on-site. We also have two high-volume wells on property, both of which are attached to the emergency generators and which supply drinkable water.
For personnel, there are multiple sheltering options on-site to ensure human safety.
In the event of severe weather that will impact TIEC, the contingency plan will include:
- Accommodating all horses on-venue in permanent barns
- Moving grooms accommodated on-site to permanent buildings on-venue
- Advising on secure sheltering locations for all personnel
- Continuing discussions with airports and Emirates airline (through Peden Bloodstock/Dutta Corporation) on any necessary steps regarding horse arrivals/departures.
- Ensuring smaller tents in vendor area are tie-strapped together for security (large tents are designed to withstand winds of up to 90mph)
- Carrying out additional drainage/water channeling
- Purchasing additional fuel tanks and fill all fuel tanks
- Preparing to remove fence scrim already installed
- Taking down flags
Any decision on delays to competitions or potential cancellation, would be made in accordance with FEI General Regulations, Article 109.12: "Subject to the unanimous agreement of the President of the Ground Jury, Technical Delegate and President of the Veterinary Committee in consultation with the Organiser, a Competition (either before or during) can be postponed and/or cancelled, not only due to force majeure, catastrophic occurrences, extreme weather conditions but also for non-compliance with FEI Rules and in specific situations where the welfare or safety of the Horses, Athletes, Officials or the public is compromised."
For immediate National Weather Service updates, text “WEG2018” to 888777 (US phones only) or check out the Tryon2018.com website and on Facebook and Twitter at @Tryon2018. Any potential updates to schedules and programming will also be posted to the Tryon WEG channels.