Characteristics of the Job
Performs duties in agricultural inspection programs to prevent, control and eradicate communicable disease; and performs other duties as required.
- Minimum Requirements:Agency requires that the successful applicant maintain current licensure with the Kentucky Board of Veterinary Medicine, USDA-APHIS Category II Accreditation and valid driver’s license. Must have at least three (3) years of experience in the practice of Veterinary Medicine.
- Preference may be given to those with regulatory experience in the areas of animal health disease control and eradication programs; epidemiology; emergency management/response; Foreign Animal Disease investigations; and animal welfare regulations.
Examples of Duties:
- Assist the State Veterinarian and assume the role of State Veterinarian in his/her absence.
- Attend State Board of Agriculture (SBA) meetings and present reports as required or requested.
- Advise the KY Commissioner of Agriculture as requested.
- Supervise Investigators assigned to the Enforcement Branch.
- Lead special projects.
- Participate in regional and national State Animal Health Official organizations.
- Develop and oversee disease control programs.
- Manage epidemiological investigations and responses.
- Create and implement emergency management procedures and response.
- Monitor livestock movement to ensure Animal Disease Traceability (ADT) compliance
- Develop educational materials for presentations at stakeholder education meetings.
- Present information to stakeholders regarding disease control and prevention.
- Design and monitor USDA Cooperative Agreements.
- Submit disease surveillance reports to USDA.
$70,000 TO $90,000/year depending on experience.
Please submit resume, cover. letter and three (3) references to: Dr. Robert Stout, State Veterinarian, Office of State Veterinarian, 109 Corporate Drive, Frankfort, KY 40601
Application Deadline is March 1, 2020, or until filled.