Do you need a 2022 AAEP Convention preview? The Convention is coming up fast! Are you wondering what talks, events or meetings to attend? The Merck Animal Health equine professional services team has some suggestions in this episode of the Disease Du Jour podcast.
We asked each of these equine veterinarians what his or her favorite part of AAEP Convention was. We also asked if they had suggestions for any “can’t miss” presentations this year.
Dr. Bryant Craig
“Hallway” time came in first as the most favorite thing at the AAEP Convention for Bryant Craig, DVM. Following that, he listed the following gatherings as his AAEP Convention preview recommendations.
- Sunrise Session, Saturday, November 19, 6:30 AM – 7:30 a.m., “Building A Sustainable Future for the Equine Profession: Conversations on New Ways of Working in a Changing Environment.” Presented by Merck Animal Health. Panelists: Amy L. Grice, Laura Javsicas, David Stephens, Stacey Cordivano, Philip van Harreveld
- Storytelling Texas Style, Saturday November 19, 7-10:30 p.m. Grand Hyatt Hotel. Benefiting The Foundation for the Horse. For more information email email@example.com. Hosted by Merck Animal Health, Boehringer Ingelheim, Zoetis and NVA Equine
- Sunday, November 20, 10:00 a.m. “How to Use a Mentorship Framework to Support an Early Career Veterinarian in Private Practice” Presented by Cara Wright, DVM, MS, ICVA
Dr. Duane Chappell
Committee meetings and networking rank on top of favorite things at AAEP Conventions by Duane Chappell, DVM. Chappell chairs the Professional Conduct and Ethics Committee, which meets during the Convention. The presentations he put on his “don’t miss” AAEP Convention preview list include:
- Medicine I: Drugs, Disease Surveillance, and Disasters, Saturday November 19, 2:30-5:30 p.m. Chappell is presenting “Voluntary Surveillance Program for Equine Influenza Virus in the United States During 2008-2021″ at 2:30
- Chappell is also moderating a session on Monday, November 21, 6:30-8:30 a.m., on “Mentoring Ethics in Equine Practice: Framing the Future”
- During that session on Monday, Chappell and Judy Batker, DVM, will present on “Volunteering in Equine Practice.”
Dr. Chrissie Schneider
Hallway time and San Antonio’s famous River Walk top the lists of fun things at the AAEP Convention this year for Chrissie Schneider, DVM, MS, DABVP (Equine Practice), cVMA. Her AAEP Convention preview list of “don’t miss” presentations include:
- Friday November 18, 1-2:30 and 3-4:30, Member Roundtable of the AAEP Commission on Veterinary Retention
- Saturday, November 19, 9 a.m. Keynote Presentation “When to Say Yes, and How to Say No When You Need To” by John Townsend, PhD.
- Saturday at 3:30 a Table Topic on “Field Neurology” presented by Monica Aleman, MVZ, PhD, DACVIM, and Steve Reed, DVM, DACVIM
- Sunday, November 20, 9:40 a.m., “Why Employees Quit: Psychological Safety is Key for Reducing Turnover and Improving a Practice’s Bottom Line,” Stacey Cordivano, DVM
Dr. Cara Wright
Cara Wright, DVM, MS, IVCA, loves to see people to visit and reconnect at the AAEP Convention. Her AAEP Convention preview list of “don’t miss” meetings includes:
- Saturday, November 19, 4:30-7:00 p.m., Avenues Internship/Externship Career Night, Sponsored by Merck Animal Health
- Sunday, November 20, 1:30-5:00 p.m., “Building and Managing Wealth as an Equine Practitioner,” moderated by Amy Grice, VMD, MBA.
- Sunday, 3:50 p.m., “Ertugliflozin in the Management of Hyperinsulinemia and Laminitis,” Tania Sundra, BSc (Hons), BVMS, MANZCVA (Equine Medicine)
- Monday, November 21, 8:00 a.m., “Dealing with EHV1 Outbreaks, Strangles Outbreaks,” Ashley G. Boyle, DVM, DACVIM, and Jared Janke, DVM, DACVIM
Dr. Philip van Harreveld
Philip van Harreveld, DVM, MS, DACVS-LA, said his favorite times at the AAEP Convention are getting together with colleagues and his Merck team. Van Harreveld’s AAEP Convention preview “Don’t miss” presentations include:
- Saturday, November 19, 2:30 p.m., “Intra-Articular Therapies in the Field: Traditional Options for Injections,” presented by D. Reese Hand, DVM, DACVS
- Sunday, November 20, 9:00 a.m., “How Practices Can Reduce Accounts Receivable by Moving to Payment at the Time of Service,” presented by Wendy M. Krebs, DVM
- Monday, November 21, 4:00 p.m., “Case-Based Pain Management Scenarios in General Practice,” presented by Lori A.Bidwell, DVM, DACVAA, CVA, Kristen Messenger, DVM, PhD, DACVAA, DACVCP, and Peter R. Morresey, BVSc, MVM
- Tuesday, November 22, 9:00 a.m., “Recurrent Colic: An Important Yet Poorly Understood Problem,” presented by Louise L. Southwood, BVSc, PhD, DACVS, DACVECC
Visit Merck at AAEP
Dr. Fairfield T. Bain, DVM, MBA, DACVIM, ACVP, ACVECC, who is Associate Director of Strategic Development and Innovation – Equine, and Wendy Vaala, DVM, DACVIM, Director of SDI (Strategic Development) for Companion Animal and Equine, will also be at the 2022 AAEP Convention. They were unable to attend the AAEP Convention preview recording of this podcast. However, the entire Merck team invites you to visit them at booth #9077 at the AAEP Convention trade show, or stop them in the hall for a chat!
Learn more about sessions, the trade show and other events at the 2022 AAEP Convention here.
Listen to past episodes of the Disease Du Jour podcast on your favorite podcast network or on EquiManagement.com.